Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Removal of stinky coolant

Wild_Bill wrote:
It would've been far less effort to accept that home shop machines don't
need coolant systems, when some others were advising you earlier.

If you're destroying an excessive number of cutting tools because of
cutting heat problems, then you might need a coolant system.

If you're experiencing part dimension tolerance problems due to heat
generated in the workpieces, then you might need a coolant system.

I do a lot of instrument panels and equipment
cases from aluminum, and often have local heating
problems with these. A flood coolant system
totally avoids the nasty melted aluminum glob all
over the cutter problem. This is on the mill.

On a lathe, I have run into workpiece heating to
the extent that I have had to leave the lathe
running (the chuck jaws act as a centrifugal fan)
for 10 minutes to cool down a part where I was
removing a lot of stock. A flood coolant system
would have allowed me to keep running. But, that
has been a pretty rare situation for me on the lathe.

Jon