Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Grizzly Tools

On 2009-05-09, wrote:
On May 9, 2:51*am, Rob wrote:
Who could say no to Grizzly Tools?

I have some friends that have a Grizzley Drill Press. The motor make
a lot of noise. I mean a lot. They took it back to Grizzly and
Grizzly said that that was normal. I would have returned the drill
press and if they all were that noisy, I would look elsewhere.

Is it a 16-speed one (the one with the idler step pulley in the
middle on a swing arm?) If so, is it similarly noisy when the belt
cover is opened?

I've got a Taiwanese drill press of the sort (from around 1978
or so) which was fine until I had to put new belts on it, and the actual
belt length was a little different (US made belts, instead of import
ones) causing the swing arm to bring the pulley into contact with the
side of the belt guard.

I removed the guard and its bottom pan, punched a new hole in
the bottom pan to allow the pivot rod for the swing arm to reside in a
new location, and punched new holes for the screws which secured it.
This let the guard move to the side a bit so it cleared the idler pulley
at all belt settings.

Of course -- it *could* really be the motor. Take the belt off
the motor and just let it run with no belt and see what it sounds like.
If it is silent then, start adding belts and see when the noise returns.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |