Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default I like to buy a tool post stud for my 9x20 Grizzly G4000

If you check the parts that are included in some of the QCTP kits, one of
the parts is a hollow bolt that's intended to be placed down the center hole
of the QCTP, and it screws onto some existing toolpost center bolts.
Whether or not you would be able to get a machine dealer to sell you that
individual part is unknown.

I don't know for certain that this part will match the size & threads of
your existing toolpost bolt, but maybe someone else has experience with that
particular part.
Otherwise, you my be able to get the info you need from a dealer's machine
parts tech support.

Unless your turret toolpost is missing, it would be suitble for making this
particular part, since you would only need to turn the part to the proper
diameter, then drill and tap the hole for the existing bolt's threads.
I'm not certain what the size of the existing toolpost bolt is, but it's
most likely a common metric size. The proper drill size might be marked on
the tap.

You might as well get started using the lathe for projects to improve the
lathe, that's how most of this metalworking machine stuff plays out.

This center bolt/extender part wouldn't absolutely need a perfect hex head,
a cross hole would suffice, so it could be tightened/loosened with a piece
of round stock.
Remember to Remove the tightening/loosening "handle" before running the
lathe so it can't accidently contact the rotating parts.

You might as well get started using the lathe for projets to improve the
lathe, that's how most of this stuff works out.

I believe the original toolpost bolt on a 9x20 lathe is pressed in, and
there may not be any clearance space under the compound/top slide to fit a
common bolt head.

By checking some of the many 9x20 lathe webpges, you may be able to discover
what other owners have done when they have used Phase II toolposts. A good
serch term is "9x20 lathe" with quotes.

I've always felt that the AXA or 100 series QCTP was too large in scale for
use on the 9x20 compound, so I continued to use the turret with very little
trouble, after I made a 4-bolt clamping plate for the compound.
The turret is an adequate toolpost after the compound clamping plate is
improved.

Some users have fabricated adapter plates so a QCTP can be mounted directly
to the cross slide, with the compound slide removed, on the 9x20 lathes.

You didn't specify which Phase II toolpost you want to mount to your 9x20
lathe.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"PeterM" wrote in message
I have a Grizzly G4000 lathe, a 9x20 and like to buy a stud so I can use my
phase II tool post holder for it. I'm not experienced enough yet to try to
make a stud myself, unless of course it is not that hard of a job. I tried
all the usual sites that come up when I Google for the info. I hope one of
you experienced lather users can help me with a place where I can just buy
one, and I can start learning to turn and do things.......PM