Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default Building a wood fired pizza oven thing ...

On 5 May, 15:44, (Steve Firth) wrote:
jim wrote:
On 5 May, 12:55, (Steve Firth) wrote:

I don't think you're going to get one of the cast-iron shells in the UK
or be able to afford to import one. They make a better job IMO since
they have the doors, control of inlet and exhaust gasses and are simple
to install (place one on the reinforced concrete base then build over it
as is shown in the guide above).

out of interest how much are they?

I'll have to ask someone. "Haggle" is the way that such things are
bought. Italian businesses are famous for not giving prices until a man
has been to your home, measured up and done a lot of sighing and
hand-waving. Almost all businesses mark their wares "Chiedi un
Preventivo" or "Call for a quote".

Here are some links:

http://www.materia.biz/ephrem.htmlht...iles/forni.htm

Jings, that last one had some prices. It looks like they start at about
EUR 300 - which to all intents is £300 currently. However that website
is for a company in L'Aquila which is (a) close to the farm and (b)
where the earthquake hit so I don't know if their business is back to
normal yet.

At leas you can see a good range of ovens (sing. forno, pl forni) there.

It's this type:http://www.caminetti.it/forni/specialpizza.htm

that I was thinking of. As you can see it says that the thermal
insulation is of high quality and the day after they have been fired the
internal temperature will still be 250C.

you may well be surprised at the reasonable costs of groupage
transport...

Hmm, we've been shipping in produce from Italy. "****ed off by how much
it costs" is more like it. At least £150 per pallet, which can be
between 25 and 50% of the value of goods on the pallet.

tried a quote for a full 20ft/20T container??
used to send these all the time to the Med (and further than Italy
technically)- approx £900 excluding transport at their end, but
including transport here.....