Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default Removal of stinky coolant

"Ignoramus31261" wrote in message
Due neglect and mismanagement, the coolant in my lathe finally went
bad after several months in the sump. I have to add here that I have
all ingredients for setting up both the skimmer, as well as aerator,
to run on two timers, something that I plan on doing soon. But as of
now, I want to make sure that I properly remove old coolant.

As far as I understand, I should try to really get rid of the harmful
bacterias that live in the present coolant. I have a easy to use water
pump that I can use for this purpose.

So my plan was, pump out the coolant, rince the sump a couple of times
with just hot water with some Simple Green, then put water with bleach
for an hour, and rinse some more. Would that seem to be a good plan?

You really need to wash off the machine to, because you could have bacteria
laying in pockets of the machine waiting for fresh coolant to revive them.
At work they clean all the machine surfaces with disinfectant before adding
new coolant.

Richard W.