Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Warren[_3_] Warren[_3_] is offline

Default Wood knobs for guitar

Taking a look at some details, using Schaller tuning machines the
knobs are placeable.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G..._Machines.html

From the spec drawings it appears they are just through holes with a
screw in the end. I'm sure there's probably a metal insert through
the knob. You would definitely need to install that insert well
before you start taking the knob down to it's final shape.

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 7 May 2009 10:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Roy Fek
wrote:

Hello,

I haven't posted here in a LONG time. You guys have always helped me
out in the past and was wondering if some one here can give me some
advice.

Has any body here made guitar volume/tone knobs out of wood?

I'm a woodturner and have wanted to make wood knobs for my bass for a
long time.
I'll probably use Bubinga to match the top of the bass.
But I could never figure out how to secure the knob to the pot shaft.
There are some wood knob makers out there that use a brass or aluminum
insert in the knob that is tapped for a set screw.
I have looked extensively online for these inserts and haven't found a
single one.
So I'm wondering if these guys make their own inserts, epoxy them into
the knob, then drill and tap the knob/insert at the same time?
Any ideas?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Roy
Seattle, WA