Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Wood knobs for guitar

Hello,

I haven't posted here in a LONG time. You guys have always helped me
out in the past and was wondering if some one here can give me some
advice.

Has any body here made guitar volume/tone knobs out of wood?

I'm a woodturner and have wanted to make wood knobs for my bass for a
long time.
I'll probably use Bubinga to match the top of the bass.
But I could never figure out how to secure the knob to the pot shaft.
There are some wood knob makers out there that use a brass or aluminum
insert in the knob that is tapped for a set screw.
I have looked extensively online for these inserts and haven't found a
single one.
So I'm wondering if these guys make their own inserts, epoxy them into
the knob, then drill and tap the knob/insert at the same time?
Any ideas?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Roy
Seattle, WA
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you're going with bubinga or any of the exotic
hard woods, you should be able to drill and tap
a hole in the knob for a set screw. Don't go
with a fine thread thouugh. Anbd when you tap
the hole, cut a little, back the tap out to clear
chips and go a little more.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
If you're going with bubinga or any of the exotic
hard woods, you should be able to drill and tap
a hole in the knob for a set screw. Don't go
with a fine thread thouugh. Anbd when you tap
the hole, cut a little, back the tap out to clear
chips and go a little more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Chances are this method will work, and if you don't remove the knobs very
often, it should last a long time. If the threads eventually strip, I
suggest inserting a Helicoil. That should last forever. For myself, I
think I would just go ahead and do it with a Helicoil to start with.

Another possibility: look around for an old radio, amplifier or something
that has wood or plastic knobs. Chuck them in your lathe and cannibalize
the inserts.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have a metal lathe so making inserts is almost baby talk.

One thing to consider - erector sets had double screw rod connectors.

A cylinder with two screw threads... So one takes them out - find a long
set screw (after turning) - e.g. make a set screw from a screw cut off and
a slot cut with a razor saw or dremmel tool.

You might be able to find such a thing at a hardware store.

Score the outside - and then epoxy or just glue in a close fitting hole.
Might find a metal insert in plumbing parts or electrical..... window shop.

Martin

Roy Fek wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

here are some links that may supply what you want - th elast link is
probably exactly right to make two of them

http://allstainlessinc.thomasnet.com...shaft-collar-2
http://www.accuratescrew.com/Catalog...ProdCat=BSH1/4
http://www.climaxmetal.com/set_screw_coupling.htm

Roy Fek wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Taking a look at some details, using Schaller tuning machines the
knobs are placeable.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G..._Machines.html

From the spec drawings it appears they are just through holes with a
screw in the end. I'm sure there's probably a metal insert through
the knob. You would definitely need to install that insert well
before you start taking the knob down to it's final shape.

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 7 May 2009 10:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Roy Fek
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I never made knobs for a guitar specifically, but I have made a bunch of
knobs for other things, especially electric fans, appliances, jigs, and
electronics. It seems like I am always repairing stuff. You don't really
need to get fancy with the attachment for your guitar pots. We are
talking about a basically round shaft with a flat on one side, right? I
just make a round hole and don't worry about the flat. If you turn the
hole with a tiny scraper made from an allen wrench or a concrete nail you
can make a nice friction fit, and that's all you need 90 percent of the
time. A couple times I had an off switch that was kind of tough and found
a couple ways to make the fit stronger. The easiest was a tiny drop of
hot melt. If you ever need to remove the knob, a few seconds with a hair
drier loosens it right up. That didn't work on a fan I had in the shop
window in the hot summer sun, so I turned a tiny dowel the size of the
hole, cut a slice off to match the flat, and glued it in the hole with
yellow glue. Worked like a champ. A couple other times I made the hole a
little too loose and was too lazy to try again, so I rubbed in a layer of
yellow glue with a toothpick and let it dry, then did it again and let
that dry. That made the hole just enough smaller to give a nice friction
fit. If you want to get fancy with set screws and such, go for it, but it
isn't necessary.

If you decide to use a set screw, you generally don't really need to use
an insert or even tap the hole. I have had great success making the hole
just a little small so the threads of the set screw bite into the wood a
bit. That's plenty good unless you need to remove the knob often, but I
don't exect you'd be doing that with a guitar knob.

I had a good chuckle one day when I was at the Wood Emporium in Loveland.
I was chatting with Loren, the owner, when a couple guys came in that I
recognized from one of the local turning clubs. They were making some
woodworking jigs for their shops and BOUGHT some knobs. I couldn't
believe it. They were woodturners, for pete's sake. They could have made
the knobs faster than making a trip to store, saved the money they spent,
and had the fun of turning their own knobs. Go figure. Maybe they had an
ulterior motive, like perhaps it was an excuse to tell their wives they
had to go someplace, and it just happened to be near Baskin Robbins.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for all the responses and advice!!!

Bill's link, http://www.climaxmetal.com/set_screw_coupling.htm , is
what I had in mind for an insert. Although these would have to be cut
in half. Not a bad idea, that way I would have two inserts.
The more I thought about it, there might be a problem drilling and
matching up the hole in the wood knob exactly where it is on the
insert, and this would be done before I push in the insert. Also
there's a chance of getting CA or epoxy in the tapped hole for the set
screw when I push the insert in the knob.

I like the idea of using a Helicoil. I never heard of those before.
Looks like a great product. Thanks Leo!

One day I may even try these:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ite...Insert-_-4ZB64

I might try to tap a hole in the wood knob and leave out the insert.
Although I know someone who did this and they said the threads
stripped out quickly. However, once the knobs are on the guitar,
there's really no reason to take them on and off. So I might be over
thinking this whole thing. I may even try what Mike said and try a
simple friction fit and see how that works. Do you think the rise/drop
of humidity could make the knobs lose and fall off?

BTW, here's one of the leading guys in the field of wooded guitar
knobs. I have contacted him and all he could tell me was that he
machines his own inserts. One thing that boggles my mind is how does
he powers the LED's in some of his knobs???
Click on gallery to see examples of his work.
http://www.thgknobs.com/

Thanks again guys, I really appreciated all the advice!

Roy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 10 May 2009 13:23:31 -0500, Roy Fek wrote
(in message
):

BTW, here's one of the leading guys in the field of wooded guitar
knobs. I have contacted him and all he could tell me was that he
machines his own inserts. One thing that boggles my mind is how does
he powers the LED's in some of his knobs???

maybe he uses "coin" or "button" style hearing aid batteries inside each
knob.The knob would have to come apart in order to change the battery. A
really small LED would not draw much juice.

tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.

Repairing pan lid knobs Michael Atkinson UK diy 29 November 27th 08 02:14 PM
Threaded Knobs George UK diy 11 August 8th 08 09:39 PM
Big Knobs visionset UK diy 3 October 28th 07 10:29 PM
I'm looking for some knobs ;-) The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 9 September 16th 06 10:47 PM
I need new knobs!! Jo UK diy 17 September 10th 04 09:19 AM