Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a cutting board

On Mon, 4 May 2009 06:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Sasha
wrote:

After having a doizen or so comercial cutting boards split and thrown
into trash I want to make my own. Can someone give me guidance how to
make it so it won't split, how to finish it, if it at all, etc. Most
important for me is it shoiuld be very durable as I don't want to make
it every month. I plan using maple to make it.

Are these cutting boards washed by hand, soaked or put into the
dishwasher? I suspect it is the care of the board that is making it
split. My cutting boards have been used over 25 years and have not
split yet. I wash them by hand, rinse and try to keep them dry. I
use one for meat, another for vegetables.