The Natural Philosopher

Default Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock

Burgess Taylor wrote:

Oh dear, its all very complicated!

I live upstairs in a maisonette, and the cold water tanks for both
flats are in the loft, only accessible via my flat. I am a private
leaseholder, downstairs are council tenants, and don't speak any
English.

A council plumber recently fitted a new float valve on their tank, and
an in-line stop valve for emergencies. This was a major hassle, as we
had to arrange a time when I was in (ie take time off work) and they
were in (to get to stop cock) all without speaking a common language.

Anyhow, its all done now, but there is a very slow leak where the
mains water comes into the new stop valve - about 2 drips an hour, and
possibly getting slower.

Be sure and check that this IS a leak, and not condensation..

Right now teh humidioty is my house is high eb=nough to trigger rteh
humidistat fans at the merest whiff of steam, teh wood everyweher has
gone to maximum exoansion, and, last year when I was doing the kitchen I
had a cupful of condensate dripping off the incoming mains water pipe.
Every day.

Am I right in thinking this will just fur up in time and fix itself,
or should I stick something on it (eg that leak putty stuff) or should
I go through all the hassle of getting the plumber back in again ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wait and see is my advice...and advise the plumber that you are doing so.

Cheers,

B.