Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a cutting board

On Tue, 5 May 2009 10:49:42 -0700, "CW"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

My wife has never used anything but vegetable oil on the butcher block
and there has never been a problem with anything going rancid, at least in
the last 30 years. While mineral oil and or a butcher block oil may be a
better choice, vegetable oil has done just fine for us.

Wesson oil for ours and the same for my mothers. I would bet that most of
the "going rancid" replies are from people that are just repeating what
others say rather than having any experience.

The Big thing is vegetable oils that are heart healthy are more likely
to go rancid than the "bad" oils. Poly-unsaturated oils go rancid
rather quichly, while more saturated vegetable oils stay "sweet" a
WHOLE lot longer.

Virtually ANY vegetable oil lasts longer than amimal oils.