Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default how do I install fence posts?

On May 7, 8:09*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
TimR wrote:
I need to put up a fence for our puppy.

I plan on 4x4 PT posts, 4 feet above ground, 2 feet below.

-snip-
I want the posts to be removable eventually, for repair or moving the
fence area. *So if concreted in, I'd want them to not be stuck to
it.

If it isn't planned on being permanent, the PT posts are a bad idea.
[not to mention that you need to take puppy-precautions with it]

Quick and dirty way would be T-posts. * *Spend the money you save on a
driver and a puller.http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ategory_6970_8...

Better way would be to make iron frame sections that hook together in
the corners-- or buy a ready-made exercise pen.
[I don't endorse this outfit- it was just the first one I saw to
illustrate the thought-- actually that Shepard sitting in a pen that
is too small for it would turn me off from buying from them-http://www.dogkennels.com/dog-kennels/dog-exercise-pens/6996+6997+700...

*What do you think?

Tough to say- What kind of dog? * how big an area? Why do you want a
fenced in area? *To leave the dog in while you're in the yard? *while
you're at work? most of its life?

If the latter, then I'd advise you pass on a puppy. * *If for any
legitimate reason, then you need to answer whether the space needs to
be big enough for the breed to exercise? * *Does it need a bottom so
the dog doesn't dig its way out?

Also- the fence is the easy part. *Once you know what the usage will
be, you need to consider what the floor will be made of. * *That's*
the tough part.

And yes, I know to call Miss Utility before digging.

Goes for driving posts, too, BTW.

Jim

I see I didn't explain very well.

No, I don't want to pen her up. She's an indoor dog, she's part of
the family. But she needs a safe and secure place to toilet and
exercise. She's a terrier mix with all that entails - high energy and
hardwired to chase small animals. We live on the edge of some
undeveloped woods, and if she sees a squirrel that magic switch turns
on. err, ON! I'd like to run chainlink around the edge of the
property, and eventually I probably will. But for now I want to fence
in about a 30x40 (feet) area of yard behind the house. Currently we
keep her on leash at all times out of the house, and I'd like to let
her run a bit more, since I have a bit of trouble keeping up. She's
only five months but quite fit.

I don't intend to leave her unattended out there for long periods of
time, because I worry about the neighborhood critters: raccoons,
oppossums, and the neighbor's boxer that can jump their fence in one
hop.

I didn't think of T-posts, I don't have any experience with them.