Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default how do I install fence posts?

Bob F wrote:
Rick Samuel wrote:
"TimR" wrote in message
I need to put up a fence for our puppy.

I plan on 4x4 PT posts, 4 feet above ground, 2 feet below.

I'm getting conflicting advice on concrete vs gravel vs just tamp the
dirt really tight. One expert even recommended concrete in buckets.
There seem to be several successful methods.

I want the posts to be removable eventually, for repair or moving the
fence area. So if concreted in, I'd want them to not be stuck to
it.

What do you think?

And yes, I know to call Miss Utility before digging.

If you're gonna fence the puppy in, why have one?

So you aren't sharing it with the neighbors?

How would a fence prevent that? New neighbor behind us got a puppy that
they apparently don't want. So they erected a makeshift cage with some
chain link and put the dog in the cage and just let it bark endlessly.
Everyone let it go for a while because you don't know the circumstances
but after a while the complaints poured in about the barking. Clearly
they didn't want the dog and should have never bought it if they just
wanted to park it in the yard in a cage.

To keep animal control from bothering you?