Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg[_2_] evodawg[_2_] is offline

Default Doors and Out of Plumb Walls

Mike O. wrote:

On Wed, 06 May 2009 19:44:45 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

These openings are 1/2" out from top to bottom. You know what that does to
the door? Half of it is either to far in on the casing or sticking out
from the casing. Then you have to reset the stop, its a mess.

1/2" is pretty bad but there are some things you can try depending on
the size and style of trim. As has been suggested, move the bottom of
the wall if possible. If you can't do that, you can try to spread
the problem around the door on all four corners.
Lets say you're standing outside the door the door is closed and the
top lock side of the door is hanging out 1/2" past the jamb. Push the
top hinge side in 1/8" past the rock and pull the bottom hinge side
toward you past the rock 1/8". With the door closed, now the door
should only be hanging out 1/4" at the top. Now do the opposite to
the lock side jamb. Pull the top 1/8" towards you and push the bottom
of the lock side jamb in 1/8". Now the door should close against the
stop. Although all four corners will be off, no corner will be off
more than 1/8".

Basically that still makes it a pain to trim and if you are using 1x
material it can still be quite difficult. If your jambs are beveled
and the casing does have some relief cut, you should be able to handle
the 1/8" without too much problem. If you are using mitered corners
(with casing that has a detail) you'll have to adjust the angles
since the casing will no longer be laying flat on the wall.

I feel your pain.
Good luck.

Mike O.

Thanks for that detailed explanation of what I should do. The only problem I
have with it is how do you hold the door frame when you're doing all this
shifting? On one of them I just divided the difference on the lock side.
The door at the top is sticking out a bit and in a bit at the bottom. I did
take the stop off and reposition it. It looks alright, and I doubt anyone
will notice. I already told the homeowner about the problem and he's aware
of it and just told me to do the best I can.

Thanks
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"