Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default LANEY B1 (Tripath) audio Amp - Blown outputs

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
N_Cook wrote:

So are we talking about a class D driver stage , rather than preamp in
the black lump ?

YES.

Although Tripath called it 'class T' since it doesn't have a fixed
switching frequency.

I doubt you'll see this since you seem to ignore me despite the fact I
know this stuff.

Graham

Careful Graham ... ! Me and thee are getting close to povoking another class
D - class T - digital amp definition war on here :-)

And yes, as Graham says, that is the 'digital' (term used loosely) class T
bit in that Tripath lump.

Years and years back, I had a demo of a Tripath unit. The sales guy went
ballistic when I tried to sinewave test it at full power.

There were more than a few problems with it, one of which is inherent to any
switching / Class D amp that results in the power rails being 'charge pumped' to
a voltage beyond nominal dependent on the load being non-resitive. I heard of
one 'PA' company that dropped Tripath totally for that or another reason.

Graham