Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LANEY B1 (Tripath) audio Amp - Blown outputs

I am repairing this amp which is using the Tripath TA0104 preamp chip. The
output transistors are STW38NB20's (W38NB20) . I have found a supplier with
the transistors in stock. At least one is shorted from what looks like a
liquid spill near the heatsink where they mount onto.

When powered up, and input signal applied, I can see the LED-VU levels
bounce on both the input and output monitoring. There is a green LED near
the tripath chip which is not lit, labeled 'run'. Does this mean the Tripath
chip is not running and ought to be replaced? I have read about some
replacements for this chip which are inconclusive. Ought I just replace it,
or is the run light a sign its bad? Nothing else seems burnt, but there are
2 black color hi-watt resistors that dont seem to have any resistance at
all, and may be open, but I need to remove them from the board to be sure.
They are shown in the photo below each channels power transistors. No
schematics - Thanks for any input.

Image of amp's mainboard:
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/...5039779400.jpg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Circuit wrote in message
[...]

What are the 2 symetrically placed angular black lumps ? more epoxied hybrid
specials ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote in message
Circuit wrote in message
[...]

Second viewing they are high current automotive type relays. The first thing
to do is remove the obviously bad and then power up on much reduced voltage
and check the prea is ok, if stable, and nothing else shows up as bad

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What is the year decade digit under the cable tie, ends 049 ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Circuit" wrote in message
[...]

Download a copy of the service manual for the B1 from
http://tremolo.elektroda.net/Firmowe...3%20Series.pdf. Then,
download a copy of the datasheet for the TA0104 driver from
http://www.datasheet4u.com/ and look at the signals. The Run LED gets turned
on by the HMute output of the TA0104. If the Run LED is off, then the audio
is muted (off).

Since the TA0104 is DC coupled to the output FETs, then it's a good bet that
it has been destroyed. If the black "hi-watt resistors" that you're
talking about are the large devices on either side of the TA0104, then
they're probably the protection relays, not resistors. You'll have to remove
them from the board and energize them with a power supply in order to verify
them.

In searching for the schematic, I found a few forum posts that indicated
that parts for the B1 and its siblings are nearly impossible to find.
Hope this gets you started.

Cheers!

--
Dave M
masondg44 at comcast dot net

One good thing about Alzheimer's; you get to meet new people every day.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes. Those resistors I forgot to mark them in the picture but they are below
the ceramic resistors and above the relays you pointed out - they check ok
at 1K each. I have replaced the transistors hoping this is all it needs.
Hopefully the tripath IC is ok and needs no replacing. Will power upo later
and post an update.

Second viewing they are high current automotive type relays. The first
thing
to do is remove the obviously bad and then power up on much reduced
voltage
and check the prea is ok, if stable, and nothing else shows up as bad

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

What are the 2 symetrically placed angular black lumps ?

Output relays you MORON.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Circuit wrote:

I am repairing this amp which is using the Tripath TA0104 preamp chip. The
output transistors are STW38NB20's (W38NB20) . I have found a supplier with
the transistors in stock. At least one is shorted from what looks like a
liquid spill near the heatsink where they mount onto.

When powered up, and input signal applied, I can see the LED-VU levels
bounce on both the input and output monitoring. There is a green LED near
the tripath chip which is not lit, labeled 'run'. Does this mean the Tripath
chip is not running and ought to be replaced?

Do they still have a website ? Get the app note.

I suggest you replace blown devices before drawing any conclisions.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

Second viewing they are high current automotive type relays.

No, they're not automotive, they're good for mains AC. I should know, I've used
them.

N_Cook is wrong as ever.

What are you going to 'bodge' today btw ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave M wrote in message

"Circuit" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, before spending out on power transistors its necessary to establish
that that big lump proprietary is still functional.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Circuit" wrote in message
[...]

Without getting into a drawn-out ****ing contest about the definition of a
'digital' amplifier, be aware that Tripath devices are not analogue in the
conventional sense that you might be used to working with on high power band
equipment. They are a form of switch-mode or PWM driver or amplifier, which
they as a company define as "digital". From my experiences with them, they
are difficult to apply 'conventional' fault-finding techniques to, and are
notoriously fickle on whether they decide to work or not, whether they
decide to fail or not when the output switching FETs on the end of them go
short, and whether or not they decide to re-**** the output FETs after
you've replaced them (either immediately, or after just long enough a period
to make you think you've fixed the thing ... !! )

You might be lucky. Sometimes it all works out just as you hope and expect,
but other times it doesn't. I'll wish you good luck, 'coz you might just
need it ... :-\

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"Circuit" wrote in message
[...]

So are we talking about a class D driver stage , rather than preamp in the
black lump ? I've only looked at the OP's pic

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

So are we talking about a class D driver stage , rather than preamp in the
black lump ?

YES.

Although Tripath called it 'class T' since it doesn't have a fixed switching
frequency.

I doubt you'll see this since you seem to ignore me despite the fact I know this
stuff.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

N_Cook wrote:

So are we talking about a class D driver stage , rather than preamp in
the
black lump ?

YES.

Although Tripath called it 'class T' since it doesn't have a fixed
switching
frequency.

I doubt you'll see this since you seem to ignore me despite the fact I
know this
stuff.

Graham

Careful Graham ... ! Me and thee are getting close to povoking another class
D - class T - digital amp definition war on here :-)

And yes, as Graham says, that is the 'digital' (term used loosely) class T
bit in that Tripath lump.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
N_Cook wrote:

So are we talking about a class D driver stage , rather than preamp in
the black lump ?

YES.

Although Tripath called it 'class T' since it doesn't have a fixed
switching frequency.

I doubt you'll see this since you seem to ignore me despite the fact I
know this stuff.

Graham

Careful Graham ... ! Me and thee are getting close to povoking another class
D - class T - digital amp definition war on here :-)

And yes, as Graham says, that is the 'digital' (term used loosely) class T
bit in that Tripath lump.

Years and years back, I had a demo of a Tripath unit. The sales guy went
ballistic when I tried to sinewave test it at full power.

There were more than a few problems with it, one of which is inherent to any
switching / Class D amp that results in the power rails being 'charge pumped' to
a voltage beyond nominal dependent on the load being non-resitive. I heard of
one 'PA' company that dropped Tripath totally for that or another reason.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

So are we talking about a class D driver stage , rather than preamp in the
black lump ?

YES.

Although Tripath called it 'class T' since it doesn't have a fixed switching
frequency.

Class 'T"? - WTF are they trying to say? I would've thought that Class D
would make things clear enough for anybody.

I doubt you'll see this since you seem to ignore me despite the fact I know this
stuff.

Well, if he doesn't want to listen to anyone, he'll blow up a lot of
silicon, which I think is punishment enough for anybody. ;^)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob Larter wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

So are we talking about a class D driver stage , rather than preamp in the
black lump ?

YES.

Although Tripath called it 'class T' since it doesn't have a fixed switching
frequency.

Class 'T"? - WTF are they trying to say? I would've thought that Class D
would make things clear enough for anybody.

Class D is generally taken to be at a fixed switching frequency. Tripath used spread
spectrum and hence gave it another name.

I doubt you'll see this since you seem to ignore me despite the fact I know this
stuff.

Well, if he doesn't want to listen to anyone, he'll blow up a lot of
silicon, which I think is punishment enough for anybody. ;^)

LOL !

Graham

Radiator Outputs Toby UK diy 11 October 5th 08 04:29 PM
Laney CD850S, 2002 N Cook Electronics Repair 5 August 27th 07 11:35 AM
Laney R4 Bass amp n cook Electronics Repair 1 January 12th 07 05:30 PM
joining two audio outputs, is this OK? orange Electronics Repair 4 August 4th 06 12:46 AM
Connecting Headphones to RCA OUTPUTS? Anthony Cerrato Electronics 4 April 10th 04 06:18 PM