Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Sanding table

In message . net, tom
koehler writes
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:13:27 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote
(in message ):

I posted pictures of my sanding table at

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/gwross/

Hope that works. In the closed picture note the velcro patch on the
left front of the top. That is what holds my sanding curtain which
directs air from the lathe to the air cleaner. The furnace filters
are 14 x 25. The cloth bag filter is labeled 12 x 24, but measures
11 1/2 x 23 1/4 at the top frame.

I use it mostly as an air cleaner to catch what escapes the dust
collector, but it works well as a sanding table with the top down.
I calculated the total square inch of the holes to equal the area of
the exhaust port.

well, you know I am willing to reveal my ignorance again. I have never heard
of such a thing as a sanding table. I'd be perfectly happy to read about this
thing. From the stuff you have hooked to it, I am assuming it is a dust
control measure, but... ? I need to know more, please.

Basically a down draft table. If you have ever seen a spray booth, they
have extractors usually at the top to remove spray fumes from the
working area. In the case of a down draft table, its basically the
reverse. Their is a hollow chamber with holes/ slots in the top surface.
Attached to the chamber is an extractor. As you sand, the dust which is
heavy normally falls, but lighter finer dust will float for a while .
with the table there is effectively a constant vacuum causing the dust
to be drawn to the table and through the holes.

A really basic concept
--
John