Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sanding table

I posted pictures of my sanding table at

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/gwross/

Hope that works. In the closed picture note the velcro patch on the
left front of the top. That is what holds my sanding curtain which
directs air from the lathe to the air cleaner. The furnace filters
are 14 x 25. The cloth bag filter is labeled 12 x 24, but measures
11 1/2 x 23 1/4 at the top frame.

I use it mostly as an air cleaner to catch what escapes the dust
collector, but it works well as a sanding table with the top down.
I calculated the total square inch of the holes to equal the area of
the exhaust port.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Start off the day with a smile and get
it over with.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:13:27 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

I posted pictures of my sanding table at

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/gwross/

Hope that works. In the closed picture note the velcro patch on the
left front of the top. That is what holds my sanding curtain which
directs air from the lathe to the air cleaner. The furnace filters
are 14 x 25. The cloth bag filter is labeled 12 x 24, but measures
11 1/2 x 23 1/4 at the top frame.

I use it mostly as an air cleaner to catch what escapes the dust
collector, but it works well as a sanding table with the top down.
I calculated the total square inch of the holes to equal the area of
the exhaust port.

Looks like my earlier attempt before I bought the Jet filter..
I have it ceiling mounted now but used to have it on a table near the lathe..

I like the combo sanding table and filter, but don't see it near the lathe in
the picture??

My sanding table is pretty primitive...
An 18 x 24" frame of 1 x 6" with a hardboard bottom and pegboard top, with a 4"
DC connecter..
Then again, it's only for sanding flatwork, which I do very little of,
especially indoors..
That may be why I can't find it most of the time. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
[...]

The shower curtain is behind the lathe and extends around the right
end and attaches to the lid of the air cleaner as shown. Even though I
use the dust collector hose when sanding, the air cleaned catches a
lot of dust. Can't afford a JET. I spend all my SS on sandpaper.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

It's an Elder Thing -- you wouldn't
understand.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:13:27 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote
(in message ):

I posted pictures of my sanding table at

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/gwross/

Hope that works. In the closed picture note the velcro patch on the
left front of the top. That is what holds my sanding curtain which
directs air from the lathe to the air cleaner. The furnace filters
are 14 x 25. The cloth bag filter is labeled 12 x 24, but measures
11 1/2 x 23 1/4 at the top frame.

I use it mostly as an air cleaner to catch what escapes the dust
collector, but it works well as a sanding table with the top down.
I calculated the total square inch of the holes to equal the area of
the exhaust port.

well, you know I am willing to reveal my ignorance again. I have never heard
of such a thing as a sanding table. I'd be perfectly happy to read about this
thing. From the stuff you have hooked to it, I am assuming it is a dust
control measure, but... ? I need to know more, please.

In my own shop I have a Jet dust collector with a basic 4" hose. The exhaust
from this collector goes out through an enormous cylindrical pleated paper
filter unit. i can have this thing running, with the hose propped up a few
feet off the floor, and I will get the air in my shop clear in a matter of 4
or 5 minutes. This thing is so nice - and relatively quiet too, I don't know
why I ever wasted money on a shop vac, years ago. No comparison. I guess I do
know, really. Ignorance again. I never even knew of the existence of such a
thing until a few years ago, and sorta bumped into one, on the internet.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 4 May 2009 23:07:04 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Tom... Google "downdraft table"

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 5 May 2009 9:43:16 -0500, mac davis wrote
(in message ):

On Mon, 4 May 2009 23:07:04 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Tom... Google "downdraft table"

Thanks for the clue. I'll do that.
tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message . net, tom
koehler writes
[...]

Basically a down draft table. If you have ever seen a spray booth, they
have extractors usually at the top to remove spray fumes from the
working area. In the case of a down draft table, its basically the
reverse. Their is a hollow chamber with holes/ slots in the top surface.
Attached to the chamber is an extractor. As you sand, the dust which is
heavy normally falls, but lighter finer dust will float for a while .
with the table there is effectively a constant vacuum causing the dust
to be drawn to the table and through the holes.

A really basic concept
--
John