Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne Dave Osborne is offline

Default Floor mounting Wall mounting Boiler (Combi)

John wrote:
Thinking ahead to replacing my floor standing boiler
Worcester...................... It sits in an upstairs airing cupboard with
plasterboard sandwich walls (no decent noggins).

When I come to change, in order to widen my choice of boilers - but to avoid
trying to get a good fixing onto the plasterboard I wonder if it would be
permissible to make up a sort of angle bracket which would enable the weight
to be taken by the airing cupboard floor (above the stairs and about 18"
above the hall floor. I would have something welded out of angle steel so it
would be strong. Perhaps something like a pipe jig (which comes with some
boilers) with feet to make it "L" shaped.

Any thoughts?

Might be easier/cheaper though just to cover over the plasterboard at
the back of the airing cupboard with a piece of 12mm WBP plywood (the
width of the cupboard if possible, resting on the floor and as high as
the top of the new boiler) and fix it to the plasterboard with
sticks-like-****/a bunch of whirlies/screws into studs or noggings as
appropriate. Paint the plywood with undercoat and gloss. Mr boilerman
can use spring toggles for the boiler.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11595

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31268