Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Please recommend a backyard hot tub

wrote:

Hi,
I live in the north east and I am going to install a hot tub in my
backyard.

I just joined the hot-tub crowd last October. bought a $600 tub off
Craigslist- replaced a pump [$200] and a heating element [$30].

I did the wrestling & electrical work. You'll need a 50-60 amp 220v
GFCI box installed. [I agree with the olddog that you're nuts to try
110] I also added some insulation to my 6-8 yr old Thermospa.

I've got about $1000 invested in the tub itself. Another couple
hundred in wiring and spa breaker- and another couple hundred in test
kit & chemicals.

The electrical use might be $30 a month. I've been tempted to buy a
separate meter, but haven't yet. I keep it at 101degress 24/7.

I use it every day. My wife might join me once a week. Friends come
over use it once a month or so. We've had a pool for 20 yrs. From
Oct-May this hot tub has gotten more use than the pool did in any 24
month period..

Please recommend a 3-4 person hot tub.

How about a forum where you can read till your eyes fall out-
http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?

Check out both the Hot tub side- and the chemistry side.

I'm happy with mine- but I can certainly see the folks who recommend
'wet testing' any tub, regardless of brand or model.

My primary concerns a
Durabaility: Alot of things can go wrong with a hot tub, I'd like to
buy one that runs reliably with the least maintenance.

I was amazed at how simple they are. They can leak. silicone cures
that. Pumps die. They are pretty cheap. Heaters die- they are even
cheaper. Electronic panels can fail- but they aren't all that much
on some of the simpler tubs. I just replaced a jet on my old
Thermospa-- $15. [the simpler ones are $5]

Covers fail & they can cost $4-500.

Good insualtion: to keep monthly electrisity costs low.

My instinct was to think the ones encased in foam were the best
insulated. Thank goodness I didn't go that way- mine is insulated
with 2" of rigid polystyrene on the walls, bubble foil on the bottom,
and a decent 3" cover. Our power went out for 5 days last Dec & the
temp dropped to the teens, but the water never came close to
50degrees.

I *disagree* with olddog on the amount of work. I test mine every
couple of days now. [I did it daily for 4 months] It has never
gotten out of hand. I use Chlorine with every use, shock weekly &
I change my filter once a month [ I rotate through 3 filters], and
have changed the water once.

Less work than the pool- no back flushing, no vacuuming, no skimming &
no liner to puncture.

Jim