Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson Gordon Henderson is offline

Default Building a wood fired pizza oven thing ...

In article ,
jim wrote:
On 4 May, 15:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Anyone here done this? Since the BBQ season is now upon us and we're doing
some work round the house and I was thinking of building a BBQ, but wifey
suggested one of those dome oven things... Which I quite fancy myself.

But there's not a lot online about building one though - at least not
that half an hour with google found me last night. A few books on the
subject that get varied reviews and one site with a description making
one out of standard red bricks and another out of clay..

I suspect it's not rocket science - I can get bricks or clay and fashion
it into the corner I want to put it, just wondering if anyones actually
done it with any hints & tips..

Cheers,

Gordon

well I've not done it but suspect you'd need either wood and warming
up time a plenty or be making pizzas for man and beast to make it
worthwhile - must take ages to get all the thermal mass up to a pizza
cooking 250degC?

Indeed they do - that's not an issue for me - you make it whole day
thing. Fir it up in the morning for a few hours, pizza lunch, bake break,
cook stew that sort of thing...

Did see some "wide mouthed" chimeneas (sp?) a while back that claimed
able to be cooked in/on?

No better/worse than a BBWQ by the looks of it ...

Gordon