Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Electrical panel problems after storm

crabshell wrote:
(snip)
Crazy story... it turned out to be an improperly seated meter cover (at
least I assume thats what the glass part is called) that must have
been jostled by a strike or thunder. The previous owner built a roof
over the porch and actually built it around the meter. The meter is
partially embedded in the roof, so when I had my panel replaced 2 years
ago, the electrician didn't reset the meter correctly due to the tight
confines. The service provider (Oncor) didn't want to mess with it,
telling me it was illegal, but he relented. Meanwhile I assume when I
go to sell the house, the inspector might say something (even though
ours did not). So now the meter cover is correctly attached, but he
couldnt get the metal strap around it so its just a friction fit.
How hard it it to relocate a meter?

????
Having trouble picturing this- the roof interferes with the meter base
itself? How high off the ground is your meter? Sounds like your Previous
Owner was an even bigger idiot than mine was. Can you post a picture
someplace, and put a link back here? Aerial service, or buried? And if
aerial, is the conduit through the roof to the weather head trapped as
well? If it is actually the end wall of an enclosed porch causing the
problem, I'd be inclined to to move the wall, and add a little jog or
something, assuming it is the posts on the outside corners of the porch
that actually carry the weight.

Surprised your service provider let it slide, even temporarily. The
electrician that replaced the panel should have insisted on a cure then-
this can't be code-compliant. 'Friction fit' does not cut it for that
application. Not to mention, emergency/power company personnel need to
be able to find and pull the meter in a hurry, like when the house is on
fire. Around here, there is usually not a main disconnect at the meter base.

--
aem sends...