Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default stain or varnish or...

"cj" wrote in message
i have to re stain a wooden front door that has been baked by the sun to
the point that the stain behind the window in the storm door is a grayish
color with a couple of good sized(4-5 inches long) cracks in the wood. the
part of the door that is shaded by the bottom half of the storm door is in
okay shape. i am planning on sanding the door with my palm sander but i am
unsure about staining or varnishing after sanding..what is the difference
between the two, also, it is an exterior door(with a storm door)how many
coats? should i try stripping the existing stain vs. sanding?
thanks, cj

Staining adds color and is absorbed a bit by the wood. Varnishing is a
protective top coat. When you varnish, look for something with UV
inhibitors, such as Min Wax Helmsman poly.

Sanding is good for the spot where nothing is left, but you may want to
strip if in bad shape, such as cracking, checking, peeling. I'd put three
coats of poly varnish on.