Steve James

Default Can water-based poly be thinned for wiping?

Ladd Morse wrote:

What I can't find, is any information on whether or not you CAN thin a
water-based poly and apply via the wipe method. Lots of info on thinning
oil-based poly, but nothing on water-based.

Water-based poly is an emulsion in a mixture of water and organic
solvents. There is a lot less organic solvent than solvent-based poly,
but there is some and if you change the composition of the liquid by too
much dilution you risk breaking the emulsion. In that case, the solids
content separates from the solution - i.e. the stuff is ruined. I
would avoid diluting unless the manufacturer says it is OK, and then
don't dilute anymore than they tell you.

I've used water-based poly a lot in the winter when I have to finish
inside the house. (The rest of the year I finish in the garage with
some ventilation). One thing to be aware of is that because of the water
the first coat really raises the grain a lot and the surface will feel
very rough. You will need to sand after the first coat almost to the
point that all the poly on the surface is taken off. So think of the
first coat as a sealer of sorts and let it dry very well before sanding.
With large pore wood like oak you may have to do pretty heavy sanding
after the first two coast.

If it were me, I would use a good brush and finish the underside of the
table with undiluted stuff and see if you like the results. I think the
plasticy look attributed to poly is a myth. Any finish that you build
that has high gloss can look plastic, not just poly. If you don't want
a glossy look, use a satin formulation, or use a gloss formulation and
sand with fine steel wool at the end.

--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net