Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement windows: wood vs. vinyl

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 06:55:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

We're considering replacement windows for 50 year old wood frame
windows and some not so old aluminum frame windows. The old wood
windows are difficult/impossible to open and somewhat leaky despite
the storm windows. We figured that we wanted wood frame windows with
some weatherproof exterior (e.g. aluminum clad wood). We've talked
with two window places so far, and the window guys strongly prefer
vinyl windows to clad wood windows. They claim that the vinyl windows
will last longer, as indicated by the superior warranty. Both of the
window guys claim that they personally installed vinyl in their
houses.

The clad wood windows are definitely more expensive. And of course
after installation I'd have to paint the interiors. The ones we got
an estimate for (Semco) are also somewhat more difficult to open and
close than the vinyl (BF Rich, Vytex).

Does anybody have any thoughts on the question of clad wood vs.
vinyl? Will the vinyl *really* last as long as the clad wood? I had
heard years ago that vinyl was not a good structural material and that
vinyl frame windows wouldn't last. But the warranty is better on the
vinyl. (One of the guys who gave me an estimate has been in business
since 1908 so it seems like they might still be around for warranty
service. The other one has been around since the 80's.) I assume
that the maintenance of aluminum clad wood and vinyl should be the
same: none.

We're not sure we can tolerate looking at vinyl inside the house, and
another curious option that has come up is vinyl with wood veneer on
it. Any comments on this sort of product?

What about vinyl wrapped wood? The vinyl protects the wood against
moisture damage. I like wood too, but when wood gets soaking wet, it
twists, warps, and swells. Wood has better insulating properties
than metal or vinyl so they sweat less in winter. I have aluminum
frame windows and they can sweat when outdoor temperatures fall below
20.