Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical Question: Clothes Drier

Art Harris wrote:
When we moved into our house (1982) there was a 240V line in the
basement for a drier. The line connected to a metal box with two 30A
fuses and a big on/off switch. But there were no circuit breakers for
this line at the main breaker panel.

How was it connected, then? (Not that it's of any real import now, but
seems strange at best...)

As I see it, the fuses are no longer needed since we have breakers.
What's the best way to eliminate the old box, and safely connect the
240V wires to the wires from the drier? Is there some sort of junction
box that should be used? What exactly do I look for?

No reason you can't just use the current box as a junction box w/o the
fuses since they're no longer needed, anyway.

Other than that, if you would rather you could use a simple box or a
disconnect if you would like, but there's no real need other than a very
rare convenience, perhaps.