Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default O/T: Pirate Rifles

On Apr 30, 8:53*am, notbob wrote:
On 2009-04-29, mac davis wrote:

...I managed to wangle a 1911 as a sidearm in VN, seeing as how we
flew around with virtually no armor I figured a good place for a large
hunk of metal would be between my legs. *I even shot it a few
times...once at a 55 gallon drum not 25 feet away; *the round clanked
out and missed by 5 feet...I *swear* on my expert rating with a .38
that I was aiming true (come on, it was a 55 gallon drum!). *Which led
me to believe that that particular hunk of steel was one Sgt York had
contact with...

The military issue .45 auto was designed to do two things. *One, deliver a
lethal pill to the enemy's body. *Two, do it every single time the trigger
is pulled. *Failure on either point is almost always a case of operator
error. *In short, ya' gotta be smarter than the tool.

nb

Design and execution are often quite far apart.

Even a simple tool knows that.