Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default 22mm compression fittings: spanners required?

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many
hexagonal shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have
narrow(ish) jaws so will fit where stilsons won't.

And chew up fittings!

I agree you need to be selective where you (can) use them.
For seized solid old fittings smothered in boss white they're a
non-starter and will do damage. But for assembling new stuff and used
carefully they're fine.

Once again!!! They chew up fittings! Only use on pipes!!!!! What they
are designed for.

Got into a very difficult bit of the loft yesterday to fit a reducing T
for a new shower supply. Discovered I had not got my usual spanners with
me. Managed fine with mole wrench and adjustable pliers/pipe wrench. Was
in a low pressure situation though and with ptfe tape on the threads.