Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 22mm compression fittings: spanners required?

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry to post to myself; I hit send too soon.

I also have to dismantle a leaky and very old pillar tap. I measured
that and the flange is 34mm wide so I need to buy something that is
that wide (fixed or adjustable).

I do have stilsons and adjustable spanners but they stop at about 30mm
(and are only marked up to 25mm). It seems most spanner sets only go
up to 24mm, so for 22mm plumbing a new set of spanners is required.
Why don't sets include these sizes? Surely they must be used often, or
is it that all the professionals solder?

Screwfix used to sell a big Hilka spanner set up to 32mm (IIRC) but I
had three or four sent to me and all were rusty on arrival, so all got
sent back. Any recommendations on what and where to buy or not buy?

I guess the tap needs a new washer and or reseating.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought two of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38428/...table-Wrench-8

Having messed about with other tools, these are the biz for firmly
tightening compression fittings (even in awkward locations) without
tearing the corners off the fittings.

Opens to about 42mm IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

I always end up with Stilsons when plumbing - usually two pairs. I've
always wanted some 'proper' spanners and keep meaning to make a list of
sizes to take to a car boot - I suspect a lot of the sizes required are
imperial/Whitworth ones.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

Nothing "cheating" about using adjustable spanners Unless space is tight
and you need a slim normal spanner.

A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

Nothing "cheating" about using adjustable spanners Unless space is
tight
and you need a slim normal spanner.

A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

These are better..
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p23418

They also fit 20 mm swa glands but not the nut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

I have a massive jumbo adjustable spanner I picked up years ago. Have
also been known to use a mole wrench, adjustable pliers etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many hexagonal
shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have narrow(ish) jaws so will
fit where stilsons won't.
A set of these and 2 or three shifter sizes will cover a lot of plumbing
jobs.
You don't need to apply ridiculous leverage even to make up a 22mm
compression joint, so as long as you have a pretty firm grip these are a
must
http://www.altecweb.com/home.asp?rf=...+Pum p+Pliers
These are examples of type only - look for quality items to purchase

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen
saying something like:

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Varies from maker to maker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Tim S" wrote in message
Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

Nothing "cheating" about using adjustable spanners Unless space is
tight
and you need a slim normal spanner.

A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

Bahco are overpriced and rust.

These are better..
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p23418

What make does it fit? The nuts are all different from maker to maker.

One of these which is brill as it locks - Stanley lockable adjustable smooth
jaws. About £20, but seen one for £10 at a tool stall once:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=WRENCHES+HT&TYPE=PRODUCT&PART NUMBER=85-610&SDesc=10%26%2334%3B+MaxGrip%26%23153%3B+Lockin g+Adjustable+Wrench

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:58:57 +0100, Invisible Man
had this to say:

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

I have a massive jumbo adjustable spanner I picked up years ago. Have
also been known to use a mole wrench, adjustable pliers etc.

Don't forget that compression fittings are BSP sized, therefore the
correct spanners will (or should be) imperial size.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

I'd say it might also depend on the make of fitting - some still seem to
use the old imperial sizes on the body. Luckily I have a fair selection of
such spanners so just use one that fits.

This chart might help you guess what it is :-

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~psc/spanner_jaw.html

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
I always end up with Stilsons when plumbing - usually two pairs. I've
always wanted some 'proper' spanners and keep meaning to make a list of
sizes to take to a car boot - I suspect a lot of the sizes required are
imperial/Whitworth ones.

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have
jaws for dripping round things so have to cut in. A good quality
adjustable is better.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have
jaws for dripping

Invented by a northerner? They have jaws for dripping as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Bahco are overpriced

Possibly

and rust.

No they don't - mine's 15 years old and in mint condition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression
fittings? The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the
middle of the body? I measured it with a vernier calliper and I
think it was 28.5mm, which seems an awkward size. Rounding that up
to 29mm, I could not find any 29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm
spanner be too big or do you "cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

Nothing "cheating" about using adjustable spanners Unless space
is tight
and you need a slim normal spanner.

A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

Bahco are overpriced and rust.

Bollox.

These are better..
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p23418

What make does it fit? The nuts are all different from maker to
maker.
One of these which is brill as it locks - Stanley lockable adjustable
smooth jaws. About £20, but seen one for £10 at a tool stall once:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=WRENCHES+HT&TYPE=PRODUCT&PART NUMBER=85-610&SDesc=10%26%2334%3B+MaxGrip%26%23153%3B+Lockin g+Adjustable+Wrench

Agreed, brilliant tool, the puppies parts. Got mine from Axminster.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"Stephen" wrote

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression
fittings? The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle
of the body? I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it
was 28.5mm, which seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I
could not find any 29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be
too big or do you "cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many
hexagonal shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have
narrow(ish) jaws so will fit where stilsons won't.

I'd have called those water pump pliers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Bahco are overpriced

Possibly

and rust.

No they don't - mine's 15 years old and in mint condition.

My wide-jaws rusted after 1 month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

"Tim S" wrote in message
Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression
fittings? The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the
middle of the body? I measured it with a vernier calliper and I
think it was 28.5mm, which seems an awkward size. Rounding that up
to 29mm, I could not find any 29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm
spanner be too big or do you "cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

Nothing "cheating" about using adjustable spanners Unless space
is tight
and you need a slim normal spanner.

A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

Bahco are overpriced and rust.

Bollox.

You know nothing about tools!

These are better..
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p23418

What make does it fit? The nuts are all different from maker to
maker.
One of these which is brill as it locks - Stanley lockable adjustable
smooth jaws. About £20, but seen one for £10 at a tool stall once:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=WRENCHES+HT&TYPE=PRODUCT&PART NUMBER=85-610&SDesc=10%26%2334%3B+MaxGrip%26%23153%3B+Lockin g+Adjustable+Wrench

Agreed, brilliant tool, the puppies parts. Got mine from Axminster.

Ah Good. You are learning. Keep it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message
Stephen wrote:

I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

I always end up with Stilsons when plumbing

Stilsons are for pipes only - not fittings!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have
jaws for dripping

Invented by a northerner?

MY God!!! A Wurzle!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Stephen" wrote

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings?
The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body?
I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which
seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any
29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you
"cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks,
Stephen

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many hexagonal
shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have narrow(ish) jaws so
will fit where stilsons won't.

And chew up fittings!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

Bahco are overpriced and rust.

Bollox.

You know nothing about tools!

Only that you are a prize one.

These are better..
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p23418

What make does it fit? The nuts are all different from maker to
maker.
One of these which is brill as it locks - Stanley lockable
adjustable smooth jaws. About £20, but seen one for £10 at a tool
stall once:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=WRENCHES+HT&TYPE=PRODUCT&PART NUMBER=85-610&SDesc=10%26%2334%3B+MaxGrip%26%23153%3B+Lockin g+Adjustable+Wrench

Agreed, brilliant tool, the puppies parts. Got mine from Axminster.

Ah Good. You are learning. Keep it up.

Yup. I've learnt not to cut Hep2O with a hacksaw.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 3:55*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Scott M wrote:

I always end up with Stilsons when plumbing - usually two pairs. I've
always wanted some 'proper' spanners and keep meaning to make a list of
sizes to take to a car boot - I suspect a lot of the sizes required are
imperial/Whitworth ones.

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have
jaws for dripping round things so have to cut in. A good quality
adjustable is better.

I find stillsons awkward on 15mm fittings, and spanners not very
useful.

I usually hold the centre of the fitting (T piece or elbow) with an F
pattern adjustable,

http://www.alloy-artifacts.com/Photo...pped_inset.jpg

it's good for clearance where a 'normal' adjustable won't go.

Cheers,

Paul.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

Bahco are overpriced and rust.

Bollox.

You know nothing about tools!

Only that you are a prize one.

Like a mallet to hit cowboys with.

Ah Good. You are learning. Keep it up.

Yup. I've learnt not to cut Hep2O with a hacksaw.

Fantastic. Make sure it is square and get rid of burrs...and all will be OK.
Pro can do that but please with you being a cowboy get a tool designed for
the incompetent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have
jaws for dripping round things so have to cut in. A good quality
adjustable is better.

Annoys me too! I've got some Screwfix vouchers that I might put towards
a decent set now you've given me the idea. I did have a friend recommend
me to get some Bahco ones but I'd already sort of ended up with Stilsons
as my default plumbing tool as they were the best thing I had. The
adjustable spanners I've had before have been utter pants and the comedy
bicycle-spanner style compression nut spanner is a nonsense.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have
jaws for dripping

Invented by a northerner? They have jaws for dripping as well.

;-)

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

My wide-jaws rusted after 1 month.

If only.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they
have jaws for dripping round things so have to cut in. A good quality
adjustable is better.

Annoys me too! I've got some Screwfix vouchers that I might put towards
a decent set now you've given me the idea. I did have a friend recommend
me to get some Bahco ones but I'd already sort of ended up with Stilsons
as my default plumbing tool as they were the best thing I had. The
adjustable spanners I've had before have been utter pants and the comedy
bicycle-spanner style compression nut spanner is a nonsense.

Other way is to spend some time at car boot ales or autojumbles etc and
get some old BSF/Whitworth spanners. They're not much in demand so don't
fetch much. A fixed correct sized spanner is always better than an
adjustable.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Scott M wrote:
I always end up with Stilsons when plumbing - usually two pairs. I've
always wanted some 'proper' spanners and keep meaning to make a list of
sizes to take to a car boot - I suspect a lot of the sizes required are
imperial/Whitworth ones.

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have
jaws for dripping round things so have to cut in. A good quality
adjustable is better.

Or a "water pump" spanner, narrower jaws than most adjustables so they fit
OK on the central hexagon, but still have the Stillson "self-locking"
property provided you have them the right way round.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many hexagonal
shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have narrow(ish) jaws so
will fit where stilsons won't.

And chew up fittings!

I agree you need to be selective where you (can) use them.
For seized solid old fittings smothered in boss white they're a non-starter
and will do damage. But for assembling new stuff and used carefully they're
fine.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr, 14:50, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

One of these which is brill as it locks - Stanley lockable adjustable smooth
jaws. About £20, but seen one for £10 at a tool stall once:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=WRENCHES+HT&TYPE=PRO...

12 quid including post on ebay: 370168644443

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Other way is to spend some time at car boot ales or autojumbles etc and
get some old BSF/Whitworth spanners. They're not much in demand so don't
fetch much. A fixed correct sized spanner is always better than an
adjustable.

That is my plan. I've got a few largish imperial spanners that sometimes
come in handy for plumbing but I've never sat down and worked out
exactly what I should be looking for. It only occurs to me when I'm
stood in field and see a nice big box of old tools :-(

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Other way is to spend some time at car boot ales or autojumbles etc
and get some old BSF/Whitworth spanners. They're not much in demand so
don't fetch much. A fixed correct sized spanner is always better than
an adjustable.

That is my plan. I've got a few largish imperial spanners that sometimes
come in handy for plumbing but I've never sat down and worked out
exactly what I should be looking for. It only occurs to me when I'm
stood in field and see a nice big box of old tools :-(

If you check the site I gave earlier you can convert the actual across
flats measurement into what BSF etc spanners are marked as. So you know
what to look out for.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you check the site I gave earlier you can convert the actual across
flats measurement into what BSF etc spanners are marked as. So you know
what to look out for.

Oh, ta. I'd missed that post.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

My wide-jaws rusted after 1 month.

If

Eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many hexagonal
shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have narrow(ish) jaws so
will fit where stilsons won't.

And chew up fittings!

I agree you need to be selective where you (can) use them.
For seized solid old fittings smothered in boss white they're a
non-starter and will do damage. But for assembling new stuff and used
carefully they're fine.

Once again!!! They chew up fittings! Only use on pipes!!!!! What they are
designed for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many
hexagonal shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have
narrow(ish) jaws so will fit where stilsons won't.

And chew up fittings!

I agree you need to be selective where you (can) use them.
For seized solid old fittings smothered in boss white they're a
non-starter and will do damage. But for assembling new stuff and used
carefully they're fine.

Once again!!! They chew up fittings! Only use on pipes!!!!! What they
are designed for.

Got into a very difficult bit of the loft yesterday to fit a reducing T
for a new shower supply. Discovered I had not got my usual spanners with
me. Managed fine with mole wrench and adjustable pliers/pipe wrench. Was
in a low pressure situation though and with ptfe tape on the threads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:05:37 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

Don't forget that compression fittings are BSP sized, therefore the
correct spanners will (or should be) imperial size.

I did wonder that when I measured 28.5mm but then I thought if the
pipe is metric, surely the fittings will be too; I was forgetting that
15 and 22 mm pipe are essentially 1/2 and 3/4 inch pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:53:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

This chart might help you guess what it is :-

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~psc/spanner_jaw.html

Thank you very much. Very useful.