Morgans

Default Electrical Question

"Steve McDonald" wrote in message

OK - think I've got it now.
One last question...I assume it is still unsafe to add the 120v outlet

even
if this was done with a GFI outlet?

Thanks to all.

Right. Unless you add the 4th wire.

Am GFI senses how much power comes out of the hot wire, and goes back into
the neutral. It does not care if the power is going through the tool, or up
one arm and down the other, and it will still think everything is OK. With
a true separate ground, it would have another path for the juice to go and
trip the GFCI. This still does not address the concern that the ground of
the table saw is carrying current, while all it is supposed to do is trip a
breaker. Juice in the saw frame is bad.

Do it the way I described. The safe way, the right way, the code way.
--
Jim in NC