Morgans

Default Electrical Question

"Steve McDonald" wrote in message

Thank you for all of the advice, although some of it appears conflicting.
I have examined and traced the wiring from the in-slab 240V metal table

saw
outlet back to the panel. Here is what I see:

There are 3 wires going into the saw outlet from the panel end: BLK, WHT

and
GRN.
The BLK and WHT are connected to the two hot prongs while the GRN is
connected to the center pin as well as to the metal box.
These wires then go into the concrete slab through a pipe. I can't tell if
it is metal or plastic.
The wires re-emerge about 10' away in a junction box in the wall, From

here
they connect with another cable that returns to the breaker panel.
This cable has a RED, BLK, WHT and BARE wire. It is connected to the saw
wire as such:
BLK-BLK, RED-WHT, BARE-GREEN. The WHT wire (from the breaker panel) is
capped off.

What are the new implications of the WHT wire not being employed? Is it

safe
in this configuration?

Sounds like it should be re-wired with a 4 wire system as so many have
suggested.

Steve

YOU are in LUCK!

You didn't say you had conduit to work with! Great!

First, verify one thing. The whit in the junction box that is capped off is
most likely the neutral you are looking for. Get a voltmeter and check some
things. 1.) The capped off white to the bare wire, with it set on AC
volts. Should read no volts. 2.) check red wire to ground, on AC volts.
Should be 118 or there abouts. Red wire to ground, AC, also 118.

If it checks that way, the white is the neutral. Turn off all of the
breakers to that area. You need to pull a red wire from the junction to the
outlet. Buy or rent or borrow an electrical fish tap, and take care to tape
up the hook so nothing sharp is exposed.

You then will go black-black, white to white, red to red, and green to bare
in the junction. At the outlet, (a new 4 prong receptacle) you will go
black to x, red to y, and white to z, and green (or bare) to g. Do the cord
to the saw the same way, with the black and red to the saw motor (switch),
and one of them to the 110 outlet. The white goes to the silver screw on
the 110 outlet, and is not connected to the saw or anything else. The green
goes to the ground screw on the outlet, and the frame of the saw, and to the
motor, if it has a separate wire.

I think I got all the details you need. Write more, if you need more help.
--
Jim in NC