Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Replacement windows: wood vs. vinyl

wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 06:55:40 -0700 (PDT), "

We're not sure we can tolerate looking at vinyl inside the house, and
another curious option that has come up is vinyl with wood veneer on
it. Any comments on this sort of product?

No need to. The windows I have are wood frames with vinyl
cladding on the outside. Looks and feels good with no painting.

I've followed this thread from inception but deleted previous posts. I find
it odd that one would clad wood with either aluminium or vinyl, neither of
which breath which timber needs in order not to rot.

Here in the UK, there has been a major business for the last thirty years,
and I suspect will continue to be for many years to come, of replacing
timber framed single glazed windows by initially in the 60s and 70s
aluminium framed doubled glazed windows. This quite quickly went out of
favour because of the interior condensation and cold spots caused by the
aluminium.

During the 70s, uPVC (vinyl) replaced aluminium as the frame of choice,
avoiding the cold spots.

The estate I live on was built between 25 and 30 years ago. The majority of
the windows at that time were timber framed either single or double glazed.
Mine were timber with double glazing. Over the years, the seals on the
double glazing started to fail and rot of the timber, though a lesser issue,
started to become a problem. I, like many of my neighbours, chose to replace
all the windows with vinyl frames and double glazing. Result - lower
exterior noise, warmer rooms without cold spots, no condensation and no need
to use ladders to paint the exteriors.

I've lived in the house from new (1982, I think) and am now an Old Fart. I
don't want to climb ladders to paint the exterior and live in hope that my
decision was right!

I have no problem with vinyl on the interior, though I have chosen to have
wooden cills to the windows. Just looks better for me when the curtains are
closed!