Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Dell

GregS wrote:

(GregS) wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:21:38 GMT,
(GregS)
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Got a Dell computer with something called a 110 Twin Alert.
This little board on the top of the chassis is shutting down the power
supply. I thought it might have been some kind of temperature
alert gone bad. Got Got some power circuitry with a beeper.
??

Could it be this warning device with a 110dBa sounder and a low
wattage speaker?
http://www.pyronix.com/pdf/Data0305%20TwinA.pdf

The pinouts a

Symbol Description
----------------------------
- 0V
+ 12V
BA Siren Trigger
SPK Speaker
T Tamper
T Tamper

I can't see how it would be responsible for shutting down your power
supply, though.

Thats was interesting.
I will post a picture later.

So here is a picture. I think its just a temp warning beeper that went bad and shorting out
supply. Weird.

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/twinalert.JPG

LM339 is a quad comparator. The board is also legended 'power and cooling'. I'd guess it
monitors temp and several supplies.

Graham