Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell

Got a Dell computer with something called a 110 Twin Alert.
This little board on the top of the chassis is shutting down the power
supply. I thought it might have been some kind of temperature
alert gone bad. Got Got some power circuitry with a beeper.
??

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:21:38 GMT, (GregS)
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Got a Dell computer with something called a 110 Twin Alert.
This little board on the top of the chassis is shutting down the power
supply. I thought it might have been some kind of temperature
alert gone bad. Got Got some power circuitry with a beeper.
??

greg

Could it be this warning device with a 110dBa sounder and a low
wattage speaker?
http://www.pyronix.com/pdf/Data0305%20TwinA.pdf

The pinouts a

Symbol Description
----------------------------
- 0V
+ 12V
BA Siren Trigger
SPK Speaker
T Tamper
T Tamper

I can't see how it would be responsible for shutting down your power
supply, though.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , wrote:
[...]

Thats was interesting.
I will post a picture later.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

So here is a picture. I think its just a temp warning beeper that went bad and shorting out
supply. Weird.

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/twinalert.JPG

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:50:59 GMT, (GregS)
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:21:38 GMT,
(GregS)
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Got a Dell computer with something called a 110 Twin Alert.
This little board on the top of the chassis is shutting down the power
supply. I thought it might have been some kind of temperature
alert gone bad. Got Got some power circuitry with a beeper.
??

greg

Could it be this warning device with a 110dBa sounder and a low
wattage speaker?
http://www.pyronix.com/pdf/Data0305%20TwinA.pdf

So here is a picture. I think its just a temp warning beeper that went bad and shorting out
supply. Weird.

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/twinalert.JPG

greg

It looks like the Pyronix device is something completely different.
How do both trademarks coexist ???

Here is a PC Power & Cooling alarm that is similar to yours.

110 Alert Heat Alarm:
http://www.pcpower.com/accessories/1...eat-alarm.html

It is set to go off when the temperature reaches 110 deg F. It doesn't
appear to do anything other than alert the user, though.

OTOH your device appears to shut down the PSU. You can see the
thermistor below the second M in the LM339M quad comparator. Could
that be a crowbar SCR across the +12V or +5V input? What are the two
large parts at the RHS of the PCB?

The only useful reference I can find to TwinAlert with Google is this
one:
http://www.kaldata.com/forums/index....ic=26035&st=30

This is a Google translation:
Sensory devices for heat

Thus, this problem could be avoided entirely by using the company's
110 Twinalert PC Power and Cooling Systems. Twinalert represents 110
bus to the size of a credit card that is connected to the plug such as
power flopito. When the temperature in the PC-it reaches 43 degrees,
the device starts to squeak, creating annoying noise, and in 47
degrees just excludes computer. It cost under $ 50 ...

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GregS wrote:

(GregS) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

LM339 is a quad comparator. The board is also legended 'power and cooling'. I'd guess it
monitors temp and several supplies.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GregS wrote:
In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

It looks like it's monitoring the temperature (there's a thermistor on
the bottom right of the PCB). I notice that it has a local regulator,
which I'd be guessing is a 7805 that's shorted out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:44:02 +1000, Bob Larter
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/twinalert.JPG

It looks like it's monitoring the temperature (there's a thermistor on
the bottom right of the PCB). I notice that it has a local regulator,
which I'd be guessing is a 7805 that's shorted out.

The pinout for a 7805, from top to bottom, is "In Gnd Out". This
doesn't fit with the "+12V Gnd Gnd +5V" pinout of a drive connector.
In any case why would you need a local +5V regulator when the incoming
supply already provides +5V? If for some reason you did need a +5V
regulator, then wouldn't a 78L05 be adequate for this circuit?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:44:02 +1000, Bob Larter
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/twinalert.JPG

It looks like it's monitoring the temperature (there's a thermistor on
the bottom right of the PCB). I notice that it has a local regulator,
which I'd be guessing is a 7805 that's shorted out.

The pinout for a 7805, from top to bottom, is "In Gnd Out". This
doesn't fit with the "+12V Gnd Gnd +5V" pinout of a drive connector.
In any case why would you need a local +5V regulator when the incoming
supply already provides +5V? If for some reason you did need a +5V
regulator, then wouldn't a 78L05 be adequate for this circuit?

That heatinked device seems rather odd, not least the way it's mounted with
bent leads.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:44:02 +1000, Bob Larter
put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/twinalert.JPG

It looks like it's monitoring the temperature (there's a thermistor on
the bottom right of the PCB). I notice that it has a local regulator,
which I'd be guessing is a 7805 that's shorted out.

The pinout for a 7805, from top to bottom, is "In Gnd Out". This
doesn't fit with the "+12V Gnd Gnd +5V" pinout of a drive connector.
In any case why would you need a local +5V regulator when the incoming
supply already provides +5V? If for some reason you did need a +5V
regulator, then wouldn't a 78L05 be adequate for this circuit?

looks again

Yeah, you're right about it not being a 78xx reg. I must've been a bit
slydexic when I first looked at it.

Recycling Dell Laptop Batteries(dell laptop parts) [email protected] UK diy 0 April 5th 08 05:55 PM
OT. Dell The Medway Handyman UK diy 162 January 10th 08 10:26 PM
Dell DJ Dell pocket DJ battery replacement Mark Electronics Repair 0 October 27th 07 01:11 AM
DELL support person ? anyone who can help reference a DELL LCD? mikercana1 Electronics Repair 9 January 16th 07 03:40 AM
Damaged Dell Flat Panel 2001FP, Dell says they don't repair flatpanels Brad Curfman Electronics Repair 15 October 7th 05 05:54 AM