Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_6_] Stephen[_6_] is offline

Default 22mm compression fittings: spanners required?

Sorry to post to myself; I hit send too soon.

I also have to dismantle a leaky and very old pillar tap. I measured
that and the flange is 34mm wide so I need to buy something that is
that wide (fixed or adjustable).

I do have stilsons and adjustable spanners but they stop at about 30mm
(and are only marked up to 25mm). It seems most spanner sets only go
up to 24mm, so for 22mm plumbing a new set of spanners is required.
Why don't sets include these sizes? Surely they must be used often, or
is it that all the professionals solder?

Screwfix used to sell a big Hilka spanner set up to 32mm (IIRC) but I
had three or four sent to me and all were rusty on arrival, so all got
sent back. Any recommendations on what and where to buy or not buy?

I guess the tap needs a new washer and or reseating.

Thanks,
Stephen.