Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Filling hole in wall

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Toothpaste to patch holes in wall? The first (and only) time I ever
heard that was from the lips of my erstwhile white-trash redneck
girlfriend, many years ago. It still has bad associations to this day.

Toothpaste has many uses. When I was a teenager I worked in an aging,
dirty, poorly lit factory, with about 150 others, making refrigerators
for sale to the military. They only came in one color, white. Sale price
was about double what a civilian would have paid at Sears for an
equivalent model.

Anyway, I got the naked cabinets fresh from the paint shop and put in
the first part, which was the heating coil that kept condensation from
forming on the outside. You know, the condensation that would form
because the insulation was too thin.

But my friend worked on the tail end of the line, packaging. Before they
went in the box, toothpaste was put on all the little scratches that had
accumulated along the way. The scratches became virtually impossible to
see, at least until the first time the fridge would get wiped down with
a damp sponge.