Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default O/T: Pirate Rifles

On Apr 28, 8:30*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

On Apr 20, 10:07 pm, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:11 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

On Apr 19, 5:12 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:40:31 -0500, "MikeWhy"
wrote:
At the end of the 80' tow rope? I think I could do that with a
target
pistol, sitting on a gyro stabilized gun mount. Gyro stabilized
sniper
rifles my shaven behind.
Y'all must be one hell of a better pistol shot than me.
I don't think I can hit anything at 80' with my 1911.
I was very careful to write "target pistol".
True. And the 1911s we were stuck with in the Marines were far better
up close where you could whap someone on the head with the thing, or
throw it like a rock.

While not claiming the 1911 to be the most accurate gun ever developed,
or
even a highly accurate gun, the vast majority of problems hitting the
broad
side of a barn with a 1911 is really the hand holding the gun, and not
the
gun.

--

-Mike-

You never got one straight out of the box, still in cosmoline, to make
a statement like that. After 20-25 hours of work, they're fine. Before
that, they quality as semi-assembled and semi-accurate.

I never saw a DI or Plt Sgt that would let you have a weapon that was
anything other than pristine. Even after shooting it was field stripped
and CLEANED. When you got a new one the first thing before cleaning it
you CLEANED it.

Dave

Oh, really? I must have been hallucinating, then.

************************************************** *************************

Well hell - that explains it all...

--

-Mike-

Anyone who thought 51 years ago that a Drill Instructor or armorer was
going to clean up a weapon for a Marine boot WAS hallucinating.
Whether or not that works that way now, I don't know. Anyone who
called a Drill Instructor a DI 51 years ago would find a boot stuck up
his ass, so what the hell. I know that Jack Webb started that
changeover a year or two after I got out of Parris Island. These days,
I'd almost be willing to accept Marines wearing pants instead of
trousers.