Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Filling hole in wall

wrote:
I need to fill a 3/8 " hole I put in the wall.

I'm pretty new at these things...I had thought the walls were plaster
(house is a brick colonial built in 1948), but there are no laths, and
looking closely at a couple places in the house where there are larger
openings in the wall, it looks something like 2 layers of drywall,
totaling about an inch thick.

Looking online and in a DIY drywall book, seems like the hole is small
enough that I could try filling it with joint compound and then (I
guess...really new at this stuff) putting drywall tape/mesh on top of
that.

Does that sound reasonable?

I want the patch to be reasonably strong, because SWMBO is insisting
that we hang a picture there. (That's where the 3/8" hole came
from...don't ask.)

Either the picture will cover the hole, or, with a long enough nail (or 3/8"
dowell) you can hang the picture using the hole.

One light-in-the-leathers TV redecorating host recommends toothpaste for
hole-filling. 'Course he probably uses toothpaste for any number of
unspeakable things...