Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default O/T: Pirate Rifles

On Apr 21, 4:41*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

While not claiming the 1911 to be the most accurate gun ever developed, or
even a highly accurate gun, the vast majority of problems hitting the
broad
side of a barn with a 1911 is really the hand holding the gun, and not the
gun.

--

-Mike-

You never got one straight out of the box, still in cosmoline, to make
a statement like that. After 20-25 hours of work, they're fine. Before
that, they quality as semi-assembled and semi-accurate.

I'd have to ask what kind of work you did to make it accurate. *I can see
making it feed better, but I'm really wondering what you did to improve
accuracy.

I didn't do ****. It was an issue weapon that I got to use for maybe
two weeks. If you have to ask...how about lightening the trigger pull,
while also making sure the trigger pull was more consistent?

Certainly the feed can be improved, generally by using a non-G.I.
magazine. Add adjustable sights, usually a high viz combat style.
Various combat grips improve holding. Front strap checkering, or other
form of grip adding at that point. Add target barrel bushings and a
target grade barrel.

There are plenty more. If you want a good treatise, pick up The
Combat .45 Automatic by Bill Wilson, publishing by Wilson's Gun Shop
in 1984.