Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Metric System

Nate Nagel wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"DGDevin" wrote in message
Think of the good ideas they oppose simply because
BigBusiness tells them to:

Disc brakes;
Radial tires;
Robertson screws;
??? I seem to have little problem purchasing all those products
from American businesses.

Now you can, but disc brakes were used in Europe for may years before
the Big 3 put them on our cars. Robertson screws are just getting
started in the US after decades in Canada. Many people still have
never heard of them.

Hi,
Robertson is Canuck invention.

And my dad had a camper shell on his pickup truck back in '73 that had
robertson screws on it.

I believe the reason it wasn't more widely used had something to do with
a patent, not an unwillingness to adopt something new.

nate

If you're talking about the screws with the square cavity
in the head, trailer and portable building manufacturers
have been fond of them for decades. Some years ago, I
started to notice them in electrical panels. There are so
many different varieties of fastener heads now that it is
mind boggling. I don't get into deck building but I've
noticed a special screw and drive for those damn things
now. I took my Dremel tool to a cheap flathead screwdriver
the other day to modify it in order to disassemble a power
supply that had deeply recessed weird headed screws for some
unfathomable reason.

TDD