Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default OT Metric System

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Think of the good ideas they oppose simply because
BigBusiness tells them to:

Disc brakes;
Radial tires;
Robertson screws;

??? I seem to have little problem purchasing all those products from
American businesses.

Now you can, but disc brakes were used in Europe for may years before
the Big 3 put them on our cars.

Sure, I've already agreed America often resists better ideas on the NIH
principle: Not Invented Here. But my last three cars have been
American-made and have all had disc brakes and radial tires. They've all
been pretty much trouble-free too I'm pleased to say.

Robertson screws are just getting
started in the US after decades in Canada. Many people still have
never heard of them.

That's because they're called square-drive rather than Robertson. ;~) And
as evidence that Americans aren't blindly resistant to change when it comes
to fasteners, I would point to the widespread success of the TORX system.