Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default computer power supplies..

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:17:18 -0700 (PDT), "William R. Walsh"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The eMachines supplies have two things working against them--the first
being that in some cases they don't have working overvoltage
protection in place. This results in motherboards getting fried. I
haven't seen too many that I could say failed as result of running out
of capacity anyway.

And you could do worse, with a supply that lies about its
capabilities:
http://greyghost.mooo.com/psuthoughts/

I have a fake ATX PSU labelled as 400W, yet the Schottky rectifiers on
the secondary side can only deliver 200W max. Although it's still
working, I replaced it because the +5V and +12V rails were moving
about too much during load changes, eg when my CPU cooler program
kicked in.

- Franc Zabkar