Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default computer power supplies..

Powermac wrote:

On Apr 25, 12:16Â*am, Bob Larter wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

bob wrote:

having a old boat anchor disk drive laying around to use as a
dummy load helps.....

Not a bad idea.

Remember the Full Height 5 1/4's ? They took about 30-40 W.

I used to own several ST-506s & ST-412s. Long gone now, of course.

--

I have to add "Me Too" I have a genuine Apple ST405 from 1982. Four
platter linear actuator. I don't remember how big it was, 10Mb maybe !

I still have a few Seagate 9GB 5.25" FH SCSI drives in external boxes
for my old AVID capture setups. I keep them around because they still
work and are OEM to the systems.

The problem I see with most PS supplies are cheap parts that fail when
the fans cooling them get clogged up with cig smoke or pet hair, dust,
etc. That and buying one that is too small for the load you are
applying.

I agree. Pay cheap, Get cheap !

How did DELL and eMachines get away with small 250W max rated supplies
in P4 3Ghz+ and Athlon 64 3000+ systems? if you added a decent gaming
video card and an extra HD you probably had voltage issues.

I'm sure that was quite deliberate ! Remember the "Warranty Void" if
you opened the case. Often enforced by a sticker over the removable
case panels. Huge numbers of people caused damage by fitting extra
drives, video cards and CD/DVD burners without understanding what they
were doing. Like everything else today... Pared down to the bone to
cut costs !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.