Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default OT Warning -- How many have propane tanks in the garage?

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article , "benick"
wrote:

Why???A little Stabil will do fine...An un-used mower isn't likely to
suddenly leak and spontaniously combust sitting un-used in the winter...

Probably not. But I'd invest some time cleaning and oiling
the thing before the winter storage. Draining the fuel,
flushing the tank, lines, and filter is perfectly normal
preventative maintenance that will only add a couple more
minutes to the job.

It means I'll start the new season with a properly stored
and maintained mower and with fresh versus stale fuel.

Of course, you're welcome to toss your wet, mud-covered,
fully-fueled mower in the garage. I doubt it will explode.
But the chances are it won't start (easily) next spring
either!

Bull****...It starts fine every year..I just fired it up today....Wet mud
covered mower???What do you mow a swamp???LOL....I most always scrape the
underside of my mower after each use to prevent build up , not just once a
year....I change the oil a few times a year as well....LOL..

You're supposed to change the oil in lawnmowers?

Just kidding, sorta. If you figure that you use the mower for 20 minutes
once a week for half the year that's only about 8 or 9 hours a year. If the
recommended oil change is every 50 hours then it only needs to be changed
every 6 years or therabouts. Unless you are one of those people who change
it every 3 months just because it's been sitting in there and are worried
about a little condensation getting into the oil. I have changed the oil on
my 22 1/2 year-old mower perhaps 3 or 4 times. Personally I always add
Sta-Bil to the last little bit of gas, run it til it runs out, then drain
the carb, take off the float bowl, remove the float and jet, spray with carb
cleaner, but back together, and pull the rope until resistance is felt. It
almost always starts the first pull the next season. OTOH I would bet that
by just using Sta-Bil it would be just fine, but I'm not a very lucky guy.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |