Scott Cramer

Default face frame...dowels or Kreg jig?

On 23 Oct 2003, Swingman spake unto rec.woodworking:

Hands down: KREG. I've used it to make close to a hundred face frames
for cabinets just this past year. Most alignment problems can be
sidestepped by doing your assembly on a flat surface, what's left can
be fixed with a cabinet scraper in a few minutes.

Fast, no waiting on glue to dry, and strong. I've got a couple of
sample joints that I didn't ever bother to glue that I invite skeptics
to try and tear apart by hand.

Am I the only one here who makes face frames with half-lap
joints? I don't remember why I do it that way, I think it might have been
an article in a Fine Woodworking from the '80s. At any rate, the half laps
are self-aligning and give lots of surface area for solid gluing. Is this
an unusual method?