Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default OT Warning -- How many have propane tanks in the garage?

In article , "benick" wrote:

Your worried about storing gasoline , grill propane or other flammables in
your garage and yet park your cars ATV's and other GAS filled toys in it red
hot after driving???

Yes. There's a big difference. I check my car (virtually)
every single day.

When folks store propane tanks in the garage, they tend to go
unchecked for very long periods.

In the case of the explosion that was the original topic of
this thread, a homeowner had stored several propane tanks
in his garage but not used/inspected them for a period of
some years I think. That is when failure of valves and/or
hoses can arise, even corrosion of the tank itself.

One also has to balance practical considerations with the
quest for safety. Failing to park ones car in the garage
can, at least to some extent, defeat the purpose of having
a garage. It would be like owning a very nice gourmet
kitchen but being scared to cook any actual food in it due
to the fire risk.

For most folks it's probably not that ardous to find a
safer storage location outside of the home.

As an aside, if was to store any gasoline/propane powered
machine (e.g. gasoline powered lawn mover) in my garage for
an extended period (like the winter) I would DEFINITELY
drain the gas tank. This for safety and other reasons.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |