Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default OT Warning -- How many have propane tanks in the garage?

on 4/23/2009 9:34 AM (ET) harry k wrote the following:
On Apr 22, 11:22 am, willshak wrote:

on 4/22/2009 1:51 PM (ET) Malcolm Hoar wrote the following:

A few days ago a home exploded not far from where I live.

I just read the result of the investigations into that
incident:

FREMONT — A 65-year-old Fremont man remained in a San Jose hospital Monday
after suffering second-degree burns to his face and arms when his family's
Warm Springs home exploded and burned over the weekend.

As Charles Stacker Sr. lay sedated in an intensive care unit at Valley Medical
Center, Fremont fire investigators — with the help of agents from the Bureau
of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives — determined that the Saturday
night explosion was caused by an unlikely ignition source — static electricity
from Stacker's body.

According to investigators, a leaking propane tank had filled the garage of
the Stacker home on Camphor Avenue with gas that was ignited when Stacker
entered the garage to check on a hissing noise.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_12185896

None in my house. The propane tanks stay hooked up to my barbecue grill
in the yard, or stored in the cabinet under the grill. That is all year
round, including hot Summers and below freezing Winters. I take out the
tank stored under the grill when using the grill to prevent overheating
from the lit grill. No fuel is stored anywhere in my house, including
the garage, which is too full to get a car in there.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How about your camp gear? Lantern? Stove? I had an almost full quart
butane canister leak down after I removed it from the lantern. Then
there are the hand torch small tanks that could do the same. I never
have had one of those leak though.

Harry K

Sorry, I don't go camping. I did forget one thing though. I do keep my
fueled up snow blower equipped tractor in my attached garage in the
Winter, only because I can't keep it in the unheated detached shed. The
throttle and choke cables freeze up and it can't be started. I have to
push it out into the snow and try to warm up the cables with a small
propane torch, which, by the way, is also kept in the attached garage
all year.