Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.radio.amateur
Dr. Heywood R. Floyd Dr. Heywood R. Floyd is offline

Default What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:50:21 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

msg wrote:
Bob Larter wrote:

msg wrote:

snip
Indeed, and I don't expect a large operator like Cox to do it, but
some ISPs
NAT their clients with RFC-1918 addresses, all of which translate to
a single
public IP, ergo, many NNTP users may all originate from a single IP.

True, but it's quite rare at ISPs. NATing is usually done in
businesses, rather than at ISPs.

From time to time (for many years now) I deal with issues involving H.323
and RTP connectivity (payload contains IP information) and I am always
surprised by the number of ISPs I encounter that NAT their clients. These
are mostly small operators and often rural. I too run a neighborhood WISP
that NATs the clients, many of whom use the same O/S and NNTP user agents,
and I would be quite distressed if newsgroup readers assumed that IP
addresses and message headers uniquely identify the poster who just
happened
to be a neighbor and not myself.

On the bright side, DimBulb clearly isn't on a NATed IP, so one can
confidently filter him out with it.

Bwuahahahahahah! Filter boy doesn't have a clue.

Just so you know, idiot, this is all on the same cable modem.

I *could* also get on the wireless and simply grab up any number of
currently unsecured networks in the local area, but that *would* be
illegal, as opposed to the fact that I have done nothing illegal on my
computer.

Om the bright side, I can prod you upside da haed ANY TIME I want to,
idiot.