Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need Tektronix 2230 Part - But Where????

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:54:17 -0700, Newman
wrote:

We have an old, and excellent, Tektronix 2230 Scope that R&D uses all
the time. They rely on it.

When it went in for annual cal, the cal lab reports that Channel 2 is
"intermittent", and they have traced it to the fact that the input
connector for Ch2 is broken.

Broken how? Cracked insulator? Can you tear it apart and glue the
pieces back together? Tighten the nut?

Did you check if the BNC center pin "leafs" are spread apart and
making a lousy connection?

Have you checked the soldering of the wires and coax going to the
connector?

Any chance the coax cable (if any) is squashed, slashed, or shredded?

Did you test the connector with *YOUR* probes and cables to verify the
cal labs diagnosis? If R&D didn't complain about it before it went in
for calibration, at what point did it magicallly become intermittent?
In transport? Trust, but verify.

If there's no visible destruction, it's otherwise fairly difficult to
destroy such a connector. There should be a way to clean, reassemble,
tighten, glue, or resolder the connector so that it works.

I would have thought that this kind of thing should have been a
standard panel mount BNC connector, but apparently not.

Nope. It has a sense ring connection for detecting the difference
between an X1 and X10 probe. You don't really need this for the scope
to function, although it is handy.

Anyone have any idea where this part could be obtained???

I usually try:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-parts/tekparts8.html
but they don't seem to have the part. I do have some parts scopes in
the office that might have the right connector. However, I can't
check for a few days.

We really do not want to have to buy a new scope, nor to restrict this
wonderful scope to being a "one channel" instrument!

Any & all help would be appreciated.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D