Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need Tektronix 2230 Part - But Where????

We have an old, and excellent, Tektronix 2230 Scope that R&D uses all
the time. They rely on it.

When it went in for annual cal, the cal lab reports that Channel 2 is
"intermittent", and they have traced it to the fact that the input
connector for Ch2 is broken.

I would have thought that this kind of thing should have been a
standard panel mount BNC connector, but apparently not.

Anyone have any idea where this part could be obtained???

We really do not want to have to buy a new scope, nor to restrict this
wonderful scope to being a "one channel" instrument!

Any & all help would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Newman" wrote in message
We have an old, and excellent, Tektronix 2230 Scope that R&D uses all
the time. They rely on it.

When it went in for annual cal, the cal lab reports that Channel 2 is
"intermittent", and they have traced it to the fact that the input
connector for Ch2 is broken.

I would have thought that this kind of thing should have been a
standard panel mount BNC connector, but apparently not.

Anyone have any idea where this part could be obtained???

We really do not want to have to buy a new scope, nor to restrict this
wonderful scope to being a "one channel" instrument!

Any & all help would be appreciated.

The 2230 BNC input has a probe sense ring, if you don't mind losing the
auto scale factoring or if you are using uncoded probes anyway, then a
standard BNC panel mount socket can be used.

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Newman wrote in
:

We have an old, and excellent, Tektronix 2230 Scope that R&D uses all
the time. They rely on it.

When it went in for annual cal, the cal lab reports that Channel 2 is
"intermittent", and they have traced it to the fact that the input
connector for Ch2 is broken.

I would have thought that this kind of thing should have been a
standard panel mount BNC connector, but apparently not.

Anyone have any idea where this part could be obtained???

We really do not want to have to buy a new scope, nor to restrict this
wonderful scope to being a "one channel" instrument!

Any & all help would be appreciated.

the TEK 2230 service manual should have the manufacturer for the BNC.
There'll be a 5 digit code for the manufacturer,and the list of
manufacturers is at the front of the parts list.
the same BNC is used in 400 series scopes,2200 series,2400 series scopes,7K
plug-ins.

IIRC,the TEK p/n is 131-0679-02.

Sphere in Canada may have new stock.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:54:17 -0700, Newman
wrote:

We have an old, and excellent, Tektronix 2230 Scope that R&D uses all
the time. They rely on it.

When it went in for annual cal, the cal lab reports that Channel 2 is
"intermittent", and they have traced it to the fact that the input
connector for Ch2 is broken.

Broken how? Cracked insulator? Can you tear it apart and glue the
pieces back together? Tighten the nut?

Did you check if the BNC center pin "leafs" are spread apart and
making a lousy connection?

Have you checked the soldering of the wires and coax going to the
connector?

Any chance the coax cable (if any) is squashed, slashed, or shredded?

Did you test the connector with *YOUR* probes and cables to verify the
cal labs diagnosis? If R&D didn't complain about it before it went in
for calibration, at what point did it magicallly become intermittent?
In transport? Trust, but verify.

If there's no visible destruction, it's otherwise fairly difficult to
destroy such a connector. There should be a way to clean, reassemble,
tighten, glue, or resolder the connector so that it works.

I would have thought that this kind of thing should have been a
standard panel mount BNC connector, but apparently not.

Nope. It has a sense ring connection for detecting the difference
between an X1 and X10 probe. You don't really need this for the scope
to function, although it is handy.

Anyone have any idea where this part could be obtained???

I usually try:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-parts/tekparts8.html
but they don't seem to have the part. I do have some parts scopes in
the office that might have the right connector. However, I can't
check for a few days.

We really do not want to have to buy a new scope, nor to restrict this
wonderful scope to being a "one channel" instrument!

Any & all help would be appreciated.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had already talked with Sphere, and they don't have any.

Thanks for that part number though!

I was able to trace this to a Kings pert number: KC-79-186

http://www.kingselectronics.com/Reso...arch=KC-79-186

Spec Sheet here (Note: the Kings data sheet actually references the
Tek part number!

http://www.kingselectronics.com/Port...-79-186_SD.pdf

You really do have to watch prices!

I found one supplier that wanted $265 US$, and one that wants $9.20!

You can probably guess who I will be buying from 8-)

Looks like the Scope is alive for a few years yet!

On 22 Apr 2009 23:54:22 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Newman wrote in
:

Tek 2230 Tchotky Electronics Repair 4 March 11th 08 05:41 PM
Tektronix 2230 Power Up Failure dodger741 Electronics Repair 13 January 30th 08 05:29 AM
Tektronix 2230 vertical problem John D Electronics Repair 1 July 11th 07 07:18 AM
Tektronix 2230 Oscilloscope failure Gary Morton Electronics Repair 3 November 9th 04 09:38 AM
Tektronix 2230 schematic Paul Electronics Repair 3 August 22nd 03 10:55 PM