Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.radio.amateur
Salmon Egg Salmon Egg is offline

Default What is the purspose of pre-tinned wire?

This thread has gone on along time without seeming to go anywhere. In a
hope to end it and move on, I did a Google search. My best immediate hit
was: http://www.cardinalproaudio.com/main/instrume.htm,

It gave my reason first--it is easier to solder. The second one was also
commonly posted. The tin protects against copper getting oxidized if it
sits on the shelf for a long time.

What this site did not say was that the coating is not actually tin. But
I as well as many other posters use the term tin instead of solder.

Can we move on now?

Bill